Leica Optics Nature Event
Join us and Leica for a full day of nature watching with Alan Davies and Ruth Miller from Birdwatching Trips with The Biggest Twitch on 9th November 2017.
The day will be hosted at Upton Warren, Worcestershire, and will start with a presentation of the Leica Optics by Mark Symes, Sales Manager for Nature Optics. Alan & Ruth will then give a talk on how to enjoy the best birdwatching with your Leica optics and what birds we may see on the day.
You will get a chance to check out the latest Leica optics during 2 nature walks around the Christopher Cadbury Wetlands Reserve, Worcestershire’s premier birdwatching reserve. Alan & Ruth will be on-hand to guide and help with all aspects of nature watching with tips & tricks to help identify what you can see. Having recorded 4,341 species from around the world, there's no-one better.
Also on-hand to help will be our very own Tony Hurcombe, who has been a keen birder since 1988.
Before the day ends there will be a Q&A session, where you can ask any questions about what you have seen, the best optics for you etc.
This full day with Alan & Ruth is only £30 with spaces limited to 20. Click the banner below to book your place:
Meet Alan Davies and Ruth Miller
Born and bred in North Wales, I have always been passionate about birds and birdwatching. From a very early age, birds have been the focus of my life. For six years, I was the Site Manager of the RSPB reserve at Conwy on the North Wales coast which I developed into a popular visitor attraction as well as a haven for wildlife. I have also written the successful site guide Best Birdwatching Sites in North Wales, so with over thirty years' experience of finding the very best birds, I know just what birds to look for and where. And there’s nothing I enjoy more than sharing exciting birds with other people.
Originally from Kent, I have always had a passion for the great outdoors and I’m happiest when I’m watching great birds in beautiful places. I worked as Head of Trading at the RSPB Head Office in Sandy, Bedfordshire before moving up to Llandudno in North Wales where I spend every possible moment exploring the wonderful countryside here. I’ve written a series of walking books called Birds, Boots and Butties, which gives you a clue to my other passion: enjoying tea and cake!
We met when we were both employed by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds in its important work for bird conservation. In 2008, however, we gave up our jobs and spent the whole year travelling the world birding, and we set a new world record for the highest number of birds seen in a single year. We called this year The Biggest Twitch and we recorded 4,341 species, that’s nearly half the world’s birds.
Now we're back in North Wales after our year of birding all around the world, and we have our own birdwatching tour company, called Birdwatching Trips with The Biggest Twitch. We now offer guided birdwatching daytrips, weekends and longer birdwatching tours in North Wales, across Britain, in Europe and further afield. We now lead relaxed-paced guided birdwatching tours together, sharing the very best birds with other people.
With this knowledge and experience, there's no-one better than Alan and Ruth of Birdwatching Trips with The Biggest Twitch to offer you a truly unique birdwatching experience.
Venue - Upton Warren & the Christopher Cadbury Wetlands Reserve
Worcestershire’s premier bird-watching reserve, Upton Warren attracts a range of birds but is particularly good for waterfowl and waders.
The reserve consists of a series of freshwater and saline pools, created by land subsidence resulting from local brine extraction. Not only do these attract a wide variety of birds but the saline pools are an important inland site for saltmarsh plants.
The 26 hectares reserve is split into two distinct areas; the Moors and the Flashes. The freshwater Moors Pools form the northern part of the reserve and the saline pools of the Flashes form the southern part. There are numerous hides looking out over both parts of the reserve.
9.30am - Time of arrival
Meet at Aztec Adventure Outdoor Education Centre with Teas & Coffees.
9.45am - 10.00am - Mark Symes from Leica
Presentation discussing & demonstrating Leica optics
10.00am - 10.30am - Talk by Alan & Ruth
How to enjoy the best birdwatching with your Leica optics and what birds we may see on the day.
10.30am - 12.30pm - Start of 1st walk at Christopher Cadbury Wetlands Reserve
Group 1 with Alan & Mark
Group 2 with Ruth & Tony
12.30pm - 1.30pm - Break for lunch
Buffet lunch with refreshments
1.30pm - 3.30pm - Start of 2nd walk at Christopher Cadbury Wetlands Reserve
Group 1 with Ruth & Tony
Group 2 with Alan & Mark
3.30pm - 4.30pm - Q&A Session
Back to room at Aztec Adventure Outdoor Education Centre for Q&A / Debrief
4.30pm - End of day
Terms & Conditions
- Entrance to the Leica Nature Day with Alan & Ruth is restricted to twenty customers, each of which must have purchased a ticket before Thursday 2nd November 2017.
- If you are unable to attend the nature day, please notify us by sending an email to email@example.com to cancel your place. We will issue a refund for as long as we receive 7-days notice prior to the nature day date.
- The nature day is designed to teach you how to best enjoy bird watching with your Leica Optics. You will receive tutorials from Leica Ambassadors & support from Clifton Cameras Ltd.
- Tickets and entry to the Aztec Centre, Upton Warren is valid for Thursday 9th November 2017 only.
- Whilst at Aztec Centre, Upton Warren, you will be provided with teas and coffees on arrival and a finger buffet style lunch. Should you have any food allergies or dietary requirements please let Olivia know by emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are welcome to bring your own photographic or optics equipment to this workshop. Equipment insurance is not included but is recommended as Clifton Cameras cannot accept any liability for loss or damage to your equipment.
- All participants agree to have their photographs taken throughout the workshop, and for these images to be used for any activities in association with the advertising, marketing and promotion of this or future events.
- All participants allow Clifton Cameras Ltd to use images, whilst retaining full copyright, the participant has taken on the day. These images may be used in conjunction with activities associated with the advertising, marketing and promotion of this or future events.
- These Terms and Conditions are to be interpreted in accordance with English law and any dispute arising out of these Terms or their subject matter is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.