Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary Lens
A lightweight hyper-telephoto zoom lens featuring high usability and outstanding optical performance. The latest fine lens in our Contemporary line.
- High image quality and a compact construction based on the product concept of our Contemporary line.
- Enhanced functionality for better portability and usability.
- Customization and flexible adjustment for convenience or a specific purpose is possible.
- Compatible with the newly developed tele converters.
- New product lines from SGV concepts that are setting new benchmarks for image quality.
The same focal ranges for different purposes. The first hyper-telephoto zoom lens from our Contemporary line for better usability.
On the one hand, the product concept of the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports is to achieve the best optical and action-capture performance to meet the requirements of professional photographers. On the other hand, that of the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary is to achieve a light-weight and compact construction for higher usability with similar specifications. It has put a special emphasis on its optical performance by incorporation of 1 FLD and 3 SLD glass elements, optimisation of the lens power distribution and minimised chromatic aberration of magnification. What matters most with a hyper-telephoto zoom lens is the image quality at the telephoto-end, and this offers brilliant performance. In addition, distortion throughout the entire focal range is well compensated. In order to make it as a hyper-telephoto zoom lens mobile enough for handheld shooting in the field, it is dust and splash-proof and incorporates a detachable tripod socket for higher usability.
1. High image quality and a compact construction based on the product concept of our Contemporary line.
- By incorporating excellent optical glass elements, it minimises chromatic aberration and achieves class leading image quality.
This lens incorporates 1 FLD (“F” Low Dispersion) glass element, which has performance equal to fluorite, and 3 SLD (Special Low Dispersion) glass elements to compensate for colour aberration at the utmost. Chromatic aberration in particular, which could be visible especially towards the telephoto-end even when stopped down, is corrected by the optimized design of glass elements including the FLD lens.
* FLD glass is the highest level low dispersion glass available with extremely high light transmission. This optical glass has a performance equal to fluorite glass which has a low refractive index and low dispersion compared to current optical glass. It also benefits from high anomalous dispersion. These characteristics give excellent correction for residual chromatic aberration (secondary spectrum) which cannot be corrected by ordinary optical glass and ensures high definition and high contrast images.
- Light-weight and compact construction for higher usability
Compared to the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports, it is more compact and light-weight, enabling easy handling and making it possible to do handheld photography for a longer period of time. The tripod socket is detachable so that the lens can be carried by itself. Without the tripod socket, it also fits well into limited space for storage. Moreover, the tripod socket is made of magnesium which is light and strong at the same time.
The tripod socket may be detached and replaced with a rubber protective cover to further reduce weight and make handheld photography an even more lightweight and convenient experience. This lens is the optimal choice for photographers who desire hyper-telephoto functionality while staying light on their feet.
2. Enhanced functionality for better portability and usability
- Zoom lock switch can be set at any focal length
The new zoom lock switch enables the zoom ring to be locked at any focal length. It can be fixed at the photographer’s desirable focal length, which allows stable shooting whether the lens is positioned upward or downward. It also helps during long exposure photography.
- Intelligent OS featuring updated algorithm
The OS (Optical Stabilizer) function features an acceleration sensor to ensure even higher precision. Two OS modes are available: Mode 1 for general photography and Mode 2 for motor sports and other applications requiring panning. In Mode 2, the acceleration sensor teams up with the Intelligent OS and its updated stabilization algorithm to deliver effective stabilization while you move the camera horizontally, vertically, or diagonally—regardless of the position of the lens. This feature helps ensure effective panning and outstanding capture of moving subjects.
Note: This lens is incompatible with film SLR cameras with the exception of the Nikon F6 and Canon EOS-1V.
- Water and oil-repellent coating ensures a pleasant photography experience
Forefront lenses incorporate a water and oil-repellent coating that allows water to be wiped away easily and prevents oil and fat from sticking to the surface, even in challenging shooting conditions. At the same time, the maintenance of the lens surface becomes easier.
- Dust-proof and splash-proof mount
As with the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM
from the Sports line, the lens mount incorporates rubber sealing to protect the mount part from dust and water drops.
- Quieter and Faster “Optimised AF”
The HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) ensures high speed and quiet AF. With the further enhanced AF algorithm compared to previous models, continuous AF (AF-C) improves the focusing efficiency by approximately 5%.
3. Customization and flexible adjustment for convenience or a specific purpose is possible
- Manual override incorporated to make two full-time manual modes switchable.
In addition to AF/MF, MO (Manual Override) is incorporated as one of the options of the focus mode switch. By setting it to the MO position, it switches to manual focus by rotating the focus ring even during continuous AF. With AF position, standard full-time manual focus is available. Using the optional SIGMA USB DOCK, it is possible to adjust the MO position’s sensitivity to switch to manual focus.
- SIGMA USB DOCK - Customizable to your needs
Customization including firmware updates, focus adjustment, setting of full time manual operations as well as adjustment of the timing to switch to MF when rotating the focus ring is available with the optional SIGMA USB DOCK, by connecting it with the dedicated software “SIGMA Optimization Pro” on a
computer. With this lens, custom mode that can be set depending on the photography situation is available by switching it on the lens. Through custom mode, it is possible to set AF speed, focus limiter where desired focus range can be adjusted, and OS where one of the patterns for optical stabilizer can be selected from “Dynamic View Mode”, “Standard” and “Moderate View Mode”.
4. Compatible with the newly developed tele converters
- AF is be effective up to F8
Tele Converters that are newly designed to match the new lens line-ups (optional, planned to be released in 2014) can be attached. The addition of SIGMA’s TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 or TELE CONVERTER TC-2001 produces a MF 210-840mm
F7-9 hyper-telephoto zoom lens or a MF 300-1200mm F10-12.6 hyper-telephoto zoom lens respectively. In addition, when SIGMA TELE CONVERTER TC-1401 is attached to cameras that are compatible with AF at F8, it is possible to shoot with AF.
* When shooting subjects with low contrast or luminosity value, focus may not be spot on the subject.
5. New product lines from SGV concepts that are setting new benchmarks for image quality.
Latest technology for high optical performance and compactness
High performance line corresponding with various photography situations
SIGMA is organizing all its interchangeable lenses into three product lines; Contemporary, Art and Sports. Among the three, the Contemporary line is a high performance line which incorporates the very latest technology making it possible to accommodate both high optical performance and compactness for use in various photography situations. Sigma has solved the difficult problem of keeping the size and weight down without compromising optical performance and function with the latest technology.
SIGMA Global Vision” - SIGMA is working on its full renewal of the products, and the new lens lines share all the following elements.
- Evaluation with SIGMA’s own MTF measuring system “A1”
We used to measure lens performance with an MTF measuring system using conventional sensors. However, we’ve now developed our own proprietary MTF (modulation transfer function) measuring system (A1) using 46-megapixel Foveon direct image sensors. Even previously undetectable
high-frequency details are now within the scope of our quality control inspections. The SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM will all be checked using this “A1” before they are shipped.
- “Made in Japan” with the best craftsmanship
All Sigma's manufacturing – right down to the molds and parts – is carried out under an integrated production system, entirely in Japan. We are now one of the very few manufacturers whose products are solely "made in Japan". We like to think our products are somehow imbued with the essence of our homeland, blessed as it is with clean air and water, and focused hard-working people. We pride ourselves on the authentic quality of Sigma products, born of a marriage between highly attuned expertise and intelligent, advanced technology. Our sophisticated products have satisfied professionals and lovers of photography all over the world, because our manufacturing is based on genuine craftsmanship, underpinned by the passion and pride of our experts.
- Applicable for the Mount Conversion Service that enables lenses to be long term assets
Over the years, Sigma has manufactured an extremely wide variety of interchangeable lenses. Leveraging our unique know-how and resources, we present our new mount conversion service, which is available for the interchangeable lenses from our new product lines. Sigma will convert the
current lens mount internal components, allowing you to continue using your favourite Sigma lens with a different camera body. Thanks to this service, you can use a favourite lens for many years to come, unrestricted by your original choice of camera system.
Note: Sigma’s mount conversion service differs from ordinary repairs and product support and is not offered at your local
Sigma dealer or camera store. In order to apply for the service, please contact your nearest authorized subsidiary/ distributer of Sigma.
Read the ePHOTOzine review - Click Here
This lens incorporates a brass bayonet mount which has both high accuracy and durability. A special treatment to reinforce its strength is applied to the surface giving it greater strength and making it highly resistant to long-term use.
- Designed to minimise flare and ghosting
SIGMA’s Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting. It provides sharp and high contrast images throughout the entire zoom range.
- Incorporating Rounded Diaphragm
The 9 blade-rounded diaphragm creates an attractive blur to the out-of-focus areas of the image.
||20 Elements in 14 Groups
|Angle of View
|Number of Diaphragm Blades
|Minimum Focusing Distance
||280 cm / 110.2 in
|Filter Size (mm)
(Diameter x Length)
||DG OS HSM
||DG OS HSM
||DG OS HSM
* The appearance, specifications, and the like of the product are subject to change for improvement without notice.
> View All Sigma 150 600mm F5 6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens Variants <