The latest underwater adventure camera from Ricoh, the WG-70, features a lightweight and compact design. The new model is exceptionally waterproof (up to 14m), shockproof and contains various shooting functions to assist with taking incredible stills and movies.
The WG-70 features a high performance 5x optical zoom lens with a focal length that covers a wide-angle 5mm through to 25mm. This equates to a 28mm to 140mm focal length in the 35mm format. Other smart features include Macro Mode and an Intelligent Zoom function that is capable of extending the zoom range to approximately 36 times (equivalent to 1008mm in full frame format) without degrading the image quality.
This standard-class waterproof digital compact camera is designed to capture brilliant stills and movies even in the most severe shooting conditions. Don’t be fooled by the compact and lightweight body, the WG-70 offers outstanding functions and specifications that outperform the basic functions of ordinary compact cameras and smartphones.
Why should I buy the Ricoh WG-70?
If you’re the outdoors type then the WG-70 is the perfect tool for capturing and documenting your adventures. If it’s underwater photography and videography that you’re looking for, then the WG-70 is waterproof up to a depth of 14 metres for up to 2 hours. If you’re a rock climber or a mountain hiker, the WG-70 is shockproof against a fall from a height of 1.6 meters.
Ricoh haven’t left out the cold weather adventurers either, the WG-70 is freeze-proof against temperatures as low as -10ºC and is also equipped with an LCD monitor whose brightness level can be adjusted to suit the lighting of the shooters situation.
Is the camera good for stills photography?
Thanks to the back-illuminated CMOS image sensor the WG-70 can produce high-sensitivity with low-noise images. The image sensor delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 and super high resolution images with approximately 16.0 effective megapixels.
The WG-70 has multiple shooting functions to assist with your photography, including Handheld Night Snap mode which will automatically shoot several images of the same nighttime scene to produce a single, blur-free final composite image.
Does the camera capture movies?
The WG-70 from Ricoh delivers Full HD movie recording, using the H.264 recording format. With the ability to provide a frame rate of 30fps, the camera can capture incredible quality at 1920 x 1080 pixels (16:9 ratio).
Make use of the camera’s creative options when recording your movie. The high-speed camera function can be used to create slow-motion playback of your movie clips. A Type D micro-HDMI terminal on the camera body enables the user to complete simultaneous output of Full HD movies and sound to an external audio-visual device.
Is the camera good for scuba diving and snorkelling?
The WG-70 is the perfect companion when viewing the underwater world. The camera is specifically designed for use under the surface and delivers sharp, true-to-life images via its Underwater Movie shooting modes. These modes optimise colour, contrast and white balance.
Never worry about losing shades of red or the loss of contrast that usually occurs with underwater shooting. The WG-70’s Underwater Movie and Stills modes compensate for this so you can concentrate on capturing that shot.
Does the Ricoh WG-70 have a flash?
The WG-70 has a built in flash that can be set to on or off modes. In addition to this flash the WG-70 also has six LED Macro Lights that are positioned around the circumference of the lens barrel to help gain crisp, high quality macro images. These lights allow the user to clearly see a magnified version via the LCD screen of the microscopic world that is usually undetectable to the human eye.
The macro lights can also provide assistance with Self-Portrait Assist mode. Here the camera uses the blink of an LED lamp to check if the subjects face is sufficiently positioned within the picture frame.
- The camera comes with a triple anti-shake protection to prevent blurred images. So you won’t have to worry about your shots when you’re in challenging environments.
- The camera has a 2.7inch LCD monitor with approximately 230,000 dots. It’s possible to easily set the optimum monitor brightness to suit your environment. This is done via the Outdoor View Setting mode.
- The WG-series mount accessories are available for the WG-70 so you can accommodate many different camera set ups.
- A macro stand (included) which can be used to maintain a minimum focusing distance of 1cm to your subject during extended shooting of macro images.
- High Speed Face Detection. This feature can be used to capture up to 32 faces in focus in approximately 0.03 seconds. The Smile Capture function automatically releases the shutter when a smiling face is detected, meaning you can take those important selfies with having to worry about a timer.
- The Watch function allows you to display the time on the LCD monitor without having to have the camera turned on. Meaning that you can preserve the battery power for when you need it most!
- Auto Picture mode allows the camera to automatically select the most appropriate shooting mode for any given scene. You can get on with being adventurous without having to worry about stopping to configure your settings to capture that once in a lifetime shot.