Why buy the Fujifilm GFX 100?
The Fujifilm GFX 100 is a high-resolution medium format mirrorless digital camera. It has a mindblowing 100+ megapixel 55mm Large Format Image Sensor. Fujifilm announced its development at Photokina in 2018. Since then, photographers around the world have been eagerly waiting to get their hands on this exciting launch.
The GFX mirrorless camera range has been highly regarded by amateurs and pros alike. The 43.8mm x 32.9mm Large Format Sensor gives 1.7x more surface area than a standard 35mm Full Frame. The ‘100’ is also the first mirrorless digital camera with this size sensor to shoot with 4K video at 30p.
A back-illuminated sensor features phase detection pixels. The Fujifilm GFX100 pioneers this feature for an image sensor larger than 35mm full-frame format.
The 100 also doubles the Auto Focus speed of any predecessor GFX model. Highly accurate AF Tracking and Continuous AF are also a great feature.
Never seen before on any camera larger than 35mm full-frame; IBIS, in body image stabilization, is another big first! The GFX 100 offers 5 Axis stabilisation up to 5.5 stops.
102 Megapixel 55mm Large Format Sensor
- A pioneering image sensor has been built specifically for the Fuji GFX 100 camera. It measures 55mm across the frame and captures an awesome 102 approx. MP.
- Fujifilm has combined this with a 4th Gen X-Processor 4 . This means the camera produces the world’s greatest in image quality. Superb reproduction of colour is optimised when shooting with FUJINON GF Lenses.
- 3.76 million phase detection pixels are across approx. 100% of the surface, giving superb cover. It gives incredibly rapid and accurate autofocus across the entire frame of your image. Setting new standards in large format mirrorless digital photography.
- The back-illuminated structure gives a superb level of light reception. This gives excellent noise reduction and an impressive dynamic range plus fast readout - even against the high count of pixels.
400 Megapixel Capture
- A firmware update can bring a pixel shift multi-shot functionality to the GFX100. The camera combines 16 RAW images into a single 400-megapixel image.
- The feature works by combining the 102-megapixel sensor, the X Processor 4, and the in-body image stabilization system to move the image sensor in 0.5 pixel increments and record high-resolution RGB pixel information over the course of a 16 image capture.
The images can then be fed into new software to produce a single 400-megapixel DNG file. Fujifilm’s new software is called Pixel Shift Combiner and not only acts as the necessary piece of the puzzle to create the large images, but it also can be used to facilitate capture capability when using Pixel Shift Multi-Shot.
The firmware update can be found here >
Pioneering in body image stabilisation for large image sensors
- With high pixel counts, comes less stability. To handle the huge sensor of the GFX 100, Fujifilm has developed the IBIS in body image stabilization system. Giving up to 5.5 stops of stabilization, the camera will comfortably handle and smooth out your photography.
- Functioning in pitch and yaw, as well as shift and roll; the stabilization will impressively have every movement covered.
- Suspension of the whole shutter unit using four springs minimises shutter shock. This means you can shoot handheld with confidence in more scenarios than ever.
The first consumer mirrorless camera with a large sensor to shoot 4K30p Video
- 4K 30p video recording is made possible by the X-Processor 4 engine, and the large image sensor. This is a pilot feature for any consumer mirrorless cameras with a larger sensor than 35mm.
- Shooting in 17:9, digital cinema format captures across a sensor area of 43.8 x 23.19mm (49.56mm diagonally). This surpasses many high-end cinemas cameras on the market. It is now very easy to shoot high-quality 4K video with wide tones, shallow depths of field and high ISO sensitivities.
- Oversampling with the data equivalent to approx 50MP to render video.
- Support for H.265/HEVC codec. Also, F-Log has a gamma curve with a wide dynamic range.
- HLG Hybrid Log Gamma allows easy HDR footage.
- “ETERNA” cinema film simulation mode gives creative freedom
Rugged and compact body
- The first ever mirrorless camera body from Fujifilm to have a built-in vertical grip. Top ergonomic design gives comfort and stability. The camera body has a thin form factor regardless of the bulk of IBIS and double batteries.
- At just 15.62 x 16.36 x 10.29 cm; the body remains compact and equally sized to a flagship full frame 35mm DSLR. The camera is easy to hold and carry weighing just 1400g when loaded with 2 batteries, EVF and an SD card.
- The cameras core imaging unit has been designed to make the most of the huge 102MP sensor. It has been designed to be as isolated from the body panels to the greatest degree. The double-structured design gives high precision and robustness but doesn’t compromise image quality from body stress.
- 95 points of weather sealing across the cameras body give the greatest protection against dust and moisture.
Detachable, High Res 5.76m dot EVF
- From the popular GFX 50S, comes a detachable EVF. At launch, it is the highest resolution EVF in the world with 5.7 million dots.
- The EVF is highly adjustable when used with an EVF-TL1 tilting adapter.
- 0.86x magnification and 5 optical elements match the demand from the 102MP image sensor perfectly.
- Select from and set up 3 priority modes depending on your style and needs. Choose a priority of Frame rate, Resolution and AF speed.
Highly functional and easy to operate displays
- As well as the EVF, the camera has a 2.05in rear display and a 1.8in sub LCD monitor on the top panel. The information display is extremely useful to any user.
- Giving histogram and EXIF data as well as camera settings in large text makes image composition a breeze. The displays can be easily set up to your needs and the task at hand.
- By displaying data on the 2 external displays, the EVF can be decluttered for easier framing.
- Virtual Dial Mode enables you to display a dial on the top LCD. You can flick through using the command dials. Great for those who prefer dial controls.
- Minimal levers and buttons complete the simple design of the GFX 100. This gives easy handling and comfortable one-handed shooting.
- A drive mode dial allows you to smoothly flip between modes. This includes stills, video, and multiple exposure modes. Settings for each mode can be stored in the memory including WB, exposure and film simulation.
- The rear monitor has a 3.2 inch 2.36 million dot touchscreen, tiltable in 3 directions.
Rapid and highly accurate Autofocus
- Setting a new standard for Large Format cameras, the GFX 100 has the fastest and most precise Autofocus.
- The first model in the GFX system to use fast, precise Fujifilm phase detection AF algorithms. These are taken from the 4th Gen cameras such as X-T3 and X-T30.
- 3.76million phase detection pixels perform highly in Single Point, Zone, Wide Tracking AF modes. The impact is hugely noticeable when shooting on Prime Lenses with heavy focus lens elements. It offers 210% greater performance over a standard contrast AF system.
- Face and Eye Detection AF have been drastically improved. This makes the camera perfect for portrait and fashion photography.
One of a kind colour reproduction technology
- Fujifilm’s history and deep knowledge has lead to stunning results in the GFX 100.
- Combining the new image sensor with the X-Processor 4 engine, the camera supports 16-bit RAW imaging. It also supports TIFF in camera file conversion.
- The 100MP resolution, tonal reproduction and rich colouring work perfectly with the Film Simulation modes in the camera.
- A smooth skin effect function can be applied to smooth skin tone. Great for shooting models and human subjects in portrait and fashion work.
Additional exciting features
- Two NP-T125 Batteries means approx. 800 frames per charge when working on the rear LCD.
- USB-C charging makes the camera easy to charge on the move
- Support for IEEE802.11ac 5GHz, means fast, wireless, image transferring.
- Compatible with “Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom®” and “Capture One Pro FUJIFILM” for RAW processing and tethered shooting.