Why buy the Leica Q2 digital camera?
Following on from the legendary Leica Q, the Leica Q2 delivers results like no other! A benchmarking new 47.3MP image sensor gives an amazing 95% more resolution than the original Q. Fast and accurate AF, superb dust and moisture proofing and the fastest lens in its class are just a few of the things to shout about.
The Q2 is built and designed with a strong focus on simplicity. A single focal length allows you, the photographer to concentrate on composition and the task at hand.
Key Features of the Leica Q2
- A 47.3 megapixel, full-frame sensor gives best in class image quality from a compact camera when launched
- Dust and spray waterproofing gives peace of mind
- OLED, High-Resolution 3.68megapixel electronic viewfinder
- A 28mm fixed prime lens, the Summilux 1:1,7/28 ASPH
- Fast 0.15s Autofocus, best AF and burst shooting speeds in the compact class at the time of launch
- Optional automatic OIS (1/60s and slower)
- ISO 50-5.00
- 20fps electronic shutter & 10fps mechanical shutter
- 4K Video
- High-resolution touch screen
- Bluetooth connection to the Leica FOTOS App
Impressively fast AF
With high-speed autofocus, the Q2 will accurately focus on your subject in 0.15seconds. Making it the fastest in the compact digital camera class. It can achieve a high-speed burst rate of 10fps, when at the full resolution of 47.3MP! To achieve the best AF performance, it is recommended to use UHS-II SD cards, check out the custom bundles above and add one to your basket now.
Processor and Sensor Technology
The Q2 sees newly developed tech from Leica when it comes to the sensor and processor. An immense 47.3-megapixel full frame image sensor sees the Q2 launch with best-in-class image quality. The sensor gives off an impressive 95% higher resolution than the preceding Q. Offering rich detailing the Q2 can offer up digital frame selection, zooming images up to 75mm.
A newly developed, Maestro series Image Processor gives the Q2 a new world of capabilities. This includes 4K video, 4K burst shooting and high ISO noise reduction.
4K (3840 x 2160) at 24/30 fps video shooting is welcomed to the Q2 by its new processing capabilities. As well as C4K (4096 x 2160) at 24 fps. Alongside the optional resolution, the camera offers a range of film styles including Monochrome.
Dust and spray waterproofing
Dust and spray waterproofing in the lens and the body give this camera a lab tested rating of IP52. (protection against falling water drops/camera tilted by 15 °) giving you peace of mind in challenging climates.
Intuitive design concept
Beautiful design is a staple of Leica cameras, the Q2 is no exception. Ergonomics and handling are at the centre of this compact camera. A built-in thumb rest and diamond patterned leather trips give the camera superb grip.
Leica has worked on the handling and positioning of controls, including a repositioned and redesigned push-button diopter setting dial on the back of the camera which will stop unintentional operation. Meanwhile, a new shutter release button controls the On/Off setting – satisfying haptic feedback.
Best In Class OLED EVF
A high-res 3.68 Megapixel Electronic Viewfinder gives improved contrast and superb depth over colour. With improved optics and impressive 0.76x magnification, the clarity given is crisp and clear. The eye sensor has been optimised to avoid any delays.
Stunning German Engineering & Craftsmanship
Highest quality materials and finest craftsmanship for unmatched reliability and endurance. The Leica Q2 has been reduced down to the pure essentials of photography but is built to exploit its full potential. The Q2 design brings together spectacular quality materials with Leica’s high standards in production. The camera body is produced from magnesium giving an exquisite and rugged feel.
Leica Q and Q2 Comparison
What has changed between the Lecia Q and Q2? A lot!
||48.3MP CMOS Image Sensor
Leica Maestro series (Newly developed)
|Dust and Spray Water Proofing
||Yes (IP 52 Rated)
||Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH
||Summilux 28 mm f/1.7 ASPH
3“-TFT monitor (1.04 million pixels), touchscreen
|3“-TFT monitor (1.04 million pixels), touchscreen
Mechanical: 10 fps | Electronic: 20 fps
FHD (60, 120 fps) / 4k (24,30 fps) / C4K
OLED 3.68 MP (newly developed)
60s – 1/2.000s mechanical shutter | 2.500–1/16.000s electronic shutter
60s – 1/2.000s mechanical | 1/2.500–1/40.000s electronic shutter
||Yes / No
||Yes / Yes
||350 images approx.
What is the Leica FOTOS app?
From 3rd April 2019, the FOTOS app will support the Leica Q2.
The Leica FOTOS app adds a lot of exciting features to Leica cameras giving many useful shooting and playback functionalities:
- Immersive viewing: access exposure data and check the sharpness of your images.
- Capture the moment: instantly control your exposure remotely in live view, with the ability to touch to focus the camera.
- Easy Access: change the settings of the camera with ease from your mobile device
- Easy connection: Simple linking and a seamless Bluetooth connection
- Transfer on the move: Easy transfer of image files in optional DNG and JPG formats
- Share and Edit: Easy editing applications and simple sharing allow a quick turnaround and are ideal for any professional or social media sharing.
In the box: