October 2013 - Range Rover Hybrid Silk Trail expedition.
"I'm writing this from Kathmandu, about to start the final two weeks of the seven week Range Rover Hybrid Silk Trail expedition. We started at the Land Rover factory in Solihull at the end of August and since then our convoy of three Range Rover Hybrids and four support Discovery 4s have completed over 12,000 kilometres on various types of terrain. Having just completed a six day drive across China at altitudes averaging out at 4,000 metres (13,000 feet) and rising up to 5,200 metres (17,600 feet), it's been good to literally pause for breath in the Kathmandu valley in Nepal.
Here's a few highlights from the trip so far:
1. Sunrise outside the city walls of the ancient town of Khiva, Uzbekistan. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF-70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Lens
2. A quick grab shot of a local Uzbek girl. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF-70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Lens
3. It wasn't always sunny… Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF 24-70mm f4L IS USM Lens
4. Night winching to get through a muddy section in the hills of Kyrgyzstan. The winch meant that we could get each vehicle across safely without getting stuck. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF 24-70mm f4L IS USM Lens. 1600ISO, 20 second.
5. Statue of Lenin still standing proud in the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF-70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Lens
6. Taken through the windscreen of our support Discovery 4, I saw the horseman with his sheep in the distance and waited for the perfect composition before taking the shot.
Pentax 645D Camera,Pentax 55-110mm f/5.6 SMC
7. Another 'through the windscreen' shot: this time in snow on a mountain pass in China. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF 24-70mm f4L IS USM Lens (ISO 1250)
8. The scenery on the recently completed Singyang-Tibetan Highway was absolutely stunning… Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens
9. Colourful prayer flags can be found at the summit of every mountain pass. Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens
10. Rain in the crowded mountain border town of Zhang Mu. With the waterproofing on the EOS there's no excuse to put away your came when it's wet! Canon EOS 1DX Body, Canon EF-70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Lens
Nick's camera gear - Click on the links for more details
- By Nick Dimbleby
- 9 Oct 2013
- Motorsport, Canon, Pentax 645Z