Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH5 Digital Camera Body
Panasonic once again pushes photographic and cinematographic boundaries with the LUMIX GH5
LUMIX GH5, the latest flagship model of LUMIX G CSC cameras based on the Micro Four Thirds system standard. The new camera delivers a high-end, hybrid performance to photo enthusiasts and professional videographers looking to capture moments in 4K 60p/50p video and 6K PHOTO.
Defying all the general concepts of what a mirrorless camera can do, the LUMIX GH Series has reached a number of milestones with this introduction. Packing a host of innovative advancements in picture quality, response and performance into an unimaginably small-sized body, the new LUMIX GH5 opens the door to a new stage of photographic and cinematographic culture.
Unprecedented Picture Quality in the History of LUMIX Cameras
The LUMIX GH5 is able to realise high-quality images with real-to-life detail through excellent resolution, image rendering and colour reproduction. Its new Digital LIVE MOS Sensor increases the pixel count by 25% compared to the GH4, from 16.05 to 20.3 megapixels, while also removing the low-pass filter.
- The camera also comes with a new image processor Venus Engine, which achieves improvement especially in Natural Texture Expression. The engine’s Multi-pixel Luminance Generation renders clear, sharp images by referring to a 9x larger area of pixel information during the de-mosaic process for precise detail reproduction. With Intelligent Detail Processing, the characteristic of every single pixel is analysed to detect whether the pixel is located at a flat, detail or edge part of the picture. Optimum processing according to the characteristic of each pixel is then applied. This results in high-precision yet natural images with stunning detail suppressing false colours at its edges.
- Also, Three Dimensional Colour Control detects not only hue and saturation, but also brightness, and applies optimum control according to the value of each factor. This achieves rich colour reproduction from dark to bright parts of the image. The conventional Multi Process NR (Noise Reduction) is upgraded to High Precision Multi Process NR. It boasts 4x the noise identification accuracy compared to the previous engine and preserves details even after the noise reduction process. As a result, photos can be clearly shot even at high sensitivity ISO values of up to 25600.
- The LUMIX GH5 also incorporates the 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) 2, which suppresses blurring in more powerful and advanced ways for both photo and video recording, including 4K video. Combining an O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and B.I.S. (Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), it compensates for larger movements which were conventionally uncontrollable. The LUMIX GH5’s high-precision gyro sensor controls both the O.I.S. and B.I.S. compensation by studying the focal length and shooting conditions, making it possible to use a max. 5-stop slower shutter speed. This is highly beneficial not only for wide-angle and telephoto shots, but also in adverse situations, such as at night-time or when shooting with one hand.
The world’s first CSC camera that meets professional quality standards
The LUMIX GH Series created an epoch-making industry sensation by achieving outstanding video recording performance with advanced features that meet the needs of professional quality levels and standards.
With the LUMIX GH5, the signal readout speed has been accelerated by max 1.7x in the new Digital LIVE MOS Sensor, and the new Venus Engine processes signals at max 1.3x higher speed. This synergy realises 4K 60p/50p ultra high-definition, smooth, video recording for the first time in a compact system camera. It is also capable of internal 4:2:2 / 10-bit video recording, which is the colour subsampling commonly used for film production, for even more faithful colour reproduction.
The LUMIX GH5 brings game changing internal 4:2:2 10-bit 4K video recording. For example, 10-bit will render all the subtleties of graduated skies and sunsets without the banding so prone to 8-bit. The power of having film creation capabilities inside the camera sets a new precedent in guerilla style filmmaking, also you can record 4:2:2 10-bit to SD card whilst simultaneously feeding the live signal thru a full-size HDMI port** connected to an external monitor or recorder. 4:2:2 10-bit recording enables faithful colour and grading fidelity with over a billion colours and four times the tonality of 8-bit to match professional intent.
The high-sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine effectively suppress rolling shutter distortion and realise high-speed readout of full digital signals. This ensures an outstandingly high image quality for every single frame.
In addition, the focal length in video recording is kept the same as that in photo shooting (no cropping).
Users can freely choose between MOV, MP4, AVCHD Progressive and AVCHD formats at a variety of frame rates, and there is no recording time limit for both FHD and 4K video. Professional users working globally can set the system frequency to 59.94Hz (23.98Hz), 50.00Hz or 24.00Hz.
While ‘Cinelike D’ and ‘Cinelike V’, which have similar gamma setting characteristics for film production, are available in Photo Style for video recording, the LUMIX GH5 also provides ‘Like 709’ for compatibility with HDTV. A paid software upgrade to support V-LogL video recording is also available.
In response to requests from professional users, the LUMIX GH5 comes with a Waveform Monitor and Vector Scope. It also embeds SMPTE-compliant Time Code either in Rec Run or Free Run count-up methods, which makes it easy to synchronise multiple video footage or sound sources in the post production workflow. Luminance levels can be selected between 64-1023 / 64-940 / 0-1023 (10-bit). Synchro Scan mode suppresses flicker and Colour Bars (SMPTE / EBU / ARIB Standard) are also available.
New AF system with advanced DFD Technology never misses a once-in-a-lifetime moment
Panasonic's innovative DFD (Depth From Defocus) technology is constantly evolving and its just got even better. DFD allows the LUMIX GH5 to calculate focal lens movement by comparing depth of field values of two images at incredibly high speed. By combining the AF drive with a maximum read speed of 480 fps, the LUMIX GH5 can achieve ultra-high-speed Auto Focus in up to 0.05 seconds* and 9 fps burst shooting with AFC (* 12 fps burst shooting with AFS). A newly adopted motion detector accurately tracks fast moving subjects, and enables smooth 4K PHOTO/VIDEO & 6K PHOTO recording.
- The LUMIX GH5 comes with a newly improved Depth from Defocus and Contrast AF technology, which not only calculates the distance to the subject by evaluating two images with different sharpness levels, but also analyses the form, size and even motion of the subject comprehensively. Thanks to the new Venus Engine, the time for measuring the distance to the subject is 6x faster, while factorising the distance into in-plane or in-depth is 2x faster.
- The speed of sensor drive during auto focusing in photo shooting mode has been increased to 480 fps, which is 2x faster than that of the GH4. Consequently, the LUMIX GH5 realises ultra-high-speed AF of approximately 0.05 sec and 12 (AFS) / 9 (AFC) fps high-speed burst shooting using a mechanical shutter in full resolution. By analysing every single frame precisely, it achieves a maximum 200% higher precision frame detection with minimum motion detection error for higher tracking tolerance against moving subjects.
- For even more precise focusing, the number of focus areas has been increased from 49 to 225. Users can create a group of focus areas depending on the composition and can control it easily with a new joystick located on the thumb position, without taking your eyes off the subject. This is possible even when using the LVF or releasing the finger off the shutter button.
- The LUMIX GH5’s new 6K PHOTO function makes it possible to capture unmissable moments at 30 fps by extracting the frame with the best timing out of the 6K burst file (in 3:2 or 4:3 aspect) to save as an approximately 18-megapixel equivalent high resolution photo. 4K PHOTO has also been upgraded enabling 60 fps high speed capture in approximately 8-megapixel equivalent resolution. In 6K/4K PHOTO, three exclusive modes are available to choose from depending on the situation; 6K/4K Burst, 6K/4K Burst (Start/Stop) and 6K/4K Pre-burst.
- By compensating the signal information between the frames, the Venus Engine makes it possible to apply Post Recording Refinement over the pictures to correct distortion and reduce noise when playing back or cutting images out of the 6K/4K burst file. As a result, the picture quality of 6K/4K PHOTO shot at high shutter speed in high sensitivity or those shot in panning are dramatically improved.
- If focus is not exactly as the user intended when the shutter is pressed, the LUMIX GH5’s Post Focus function enables users to select the specific focus point even after shooting – particularly helpful in situations like macro shooting where severe focusing is required. In addition, the camera also features a Focus Stacking function. As taking a single macro photo with specific areas in focus can sometimes be difficult, Focus Stacking enables users to take multiple images of the same frame with different focus points. You can then combine them into one image with the defocus as you like.
High mobility in rugged design for heavy field use
To be tough enough to withstand even heavy field use, the LUMIX GH5’s main structure is composed of a magnesium alloy, full die cast front/rear frame. Secure construction and the sealing of every joint, dial, and button makes the camera not only splash/dust-proof, but also freeze-proof down to -10 degrees Celsius. The LUMIX GH5 is built to withstand even heavy use out in the field. It is freezeproof down to -10-degrees in addition to splash / dustproof construction thanks to weather sealing on every joint, dial, and button. A magnesium alloy full diecast armour frame makes the body lightweight yet durable while bringing ruggedness to the compact size. This camera can go everwhere you can.
The LUMIX GH5 is equipped with a double SD Memory Card slot compatible with high-speed, high capacity UHS-II for the first time in the LUMIX digital cameras. Users can flexibly choose the recording method either in Relay Rec, Backup Rec or Allocation Rec.
The LUMIX GH5 has a large LVF (Live View Finder) with a stunningly high magnification ratio of approximately 1.52x / 0.76x (35mm camera equivalent). The high-precision, high-speed OLED display features 3,680K-dot high resolution and 100% field of view. Adopting a static-type touch control system, the 3.2-inch free-angle rear screen in 3:2 aspect with 1,620K-dot high resolution achieves approximately 100% field of view.
What are the differences between the GH5 and the GH5M2?
There are a number of differences between the two models, check out our blog that breakdown the main differences here.
Easily spread the payments with our range of finance solutions.
Choose the finance package that suits you best.
Apply from our checkout
Easy online application
We process your order
Simply choose your repayment period and choice of initial deposit. Look out for the promotional Interest Free offers.
Price of Goods: £1,199.00
Total amount repayable . APR representative. Annual Rate of Interest Fixed.
Finance is subject to status. Terms and conditions apply.